I am a chocolate lover through and through, and when this cake came out of the microwave (a little doubtful, but extremely hopeful) I knew I found the recipe I've been dreaming about. I've always loved the idea of a single serve cake in a mug, but after spending hours pouring through Pinterest and following each recipe to a 'T', I was always left feeling disappointed. Now, you may be thinking, "What did you do differently this time?" I believe the key in making this recipe fulfill all of my hopes and expectations was the ingredients themselves!
First I started with the coffee! The Legend, dark roast was a perfect pairing in this cake. Then I chose the chocolate, Divine Chocolates 55% dark semi-sweet baking bar. Our friends at Divine chocolates, a fellow B Crop, not only care about the chocolates they produce, but they also believe in the people who made their bars possible. After all, the company is co-owned by the farmers themselves!
Knowing where the ingredients directly came from, made me enjoy this cake that much more!
WHAT YOU NEED:
3 Tablespoons Flour
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking Chocolate (Melted)
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
3/4 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon Brewed Coffee (Aeropress)
2 Tablespoons Milk
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
Step 1 | Make Coffee
- Start by making a concentrated coffee brew for this cake. Making this Aeropress recipe by using this dark roast Legend coffee, will give you the perfect combo!
- Save brewed coffee for later.
Step 2 | Melt Chocolate
- Start by breaking off a few pieces of the Divine Chocolate Baking Bar and placing them in a double boiler. However, in this post I simply placed a mixing bowl on top of a metal sauce pan (instant double boiler created).
- Add just enough water to your pan allowing it to almost touch the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Place on a stove top and set to medium-high heat.
- Stir the chocolate until it starts to melt. Then immediately take the chocolate off the heat and keep stirring until fully melted.
- Save for later.
Step 3 | Mix together dry ingredients + chocolate
- Mix together the flour, sugar, and baking powder directly into a coffee mug of choice.
- Add in the melted chocolate.
Step 4 | Mix in the remaining ingredients
- Mix in the coffee, milk, coconut oil & vanilla, stirring until smooth.
Step 5 | Microwave on high for 45-75 seconds
Step 6 | Place a mini chocolate on top & enjoy